Does the News leave you Paralyzed or Terrified? Let’s get you Energized
Trending news has it that General Motors will stop the production of gas and diesel consuming cars and SUVs by 2035. That is a major shift and it’s coming in less than 14 years.
What do you do with this knowledge? What emotions and/or actions dies this news evoke in you? Here are a few options:
You hear the news and you:
- Continue life as usual. Consumption without utilization leads to malnutrition (Obesity). Obese companies don’t move quickly, they are not agile and they get left behind. Agile companies consume the news for information and then utilize that information to drive transformation.
- Get anxious. Emotions without transformation can lead to anxiety and depression. This is what I call “sweating the news”. These negative emotions will leave you paralyzed, immobilized, and crying “woe is me”. Effective leadership requires courage and vision and the ability to infuse that courage (encourage) into the people we lead.
- Get smart. Don’t sweat it, instead “SWOT” it: Analyze your career or business through a SWOT lens. What Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities or Threats does this news expose?
• What does this mean for my industry? Do I need to retool?
• What does it mean for me, my career, or for my employees? Do we need new/more skills?
• What does this mean for my customers? Do I need to rebrand?
• So next time you get wind of industry-changing news, remember:
Information+ Vision + Action = Transformation